Sunday, April 1, 2012

Good Movie Weekend

I watched a few really good movies this weekend and I felt like sharing. I watched my first good movie yesterday after work.The Hunger Games: My brother invited me to go see the movie with him and a few of his friends, and I knew that I wouldn't get my parents to go see it with me so I decided to go with my brother. I thought that the movie was very well done. My brother had just finished reading the book that day and so everything was fresh in his mind. Out of the group of us, my brother was the most disappointed in the movie. He remembered stuff from the book that the rest of us had forgotten. Advice: Never read a book right before the movie comes out because more times than not you'll be disappointed. I'm not saying that he didn't enjoy the film, but he had way more complaints than the rest of us. For me, I thought they followed the book very well. However, I don't think that people can appreciate this movie if they haven't read the books. My brother thought that they botched the ending but I'm fine with it. I've also heard a bunch of people complain that the actress who played Katniss wasn't skinny enough for the part. Several people have complained about some of the other characters as well but I'm fine with the casting. I'm not super thrilled about Josh Hutcherson playing Peeta but maybe he'll beef up and grow taller than Jennifer Lawrence in the next film. Overall, Job well done. After the first session of conference my dad started watching The Karate Kid that came out in 2010. Jaden Smith, Will Smith's son, plays the little boy that takes karate lessons from....Jackie Chan!! I didn't watch the whole movie because I decided to eat my lunch outside and enjoy the warm weather, but the bits that I did watch were really good. I usually don't like to watch remake kind of movies but this one was really cute. It's not like the original from the 80's but it definitely has its similarities. I totally think that Jaden is super cute and I'm totally impressed with his work. He looks just like his daddy too. My dad recorded the movie and so I'll have to watch it from the beginning one of these days when I get off work.
I finally got around to seeing The Blind Side. I had wanted to see this movie when it came out but for some reason I never got around to it. About a month ago they advertised the movie on ABC and I decided to set it up to record. Long story short, I tried to record it twice and for some reason it would either not record or my parents would delete it. I finally told them not to delete it and that this was my third attempt at trying to see this movie. I watched it today after conference and I absolutely loved it. It's one of those feel good true stories that inspires you to be a better person. Words can not express my praise for this movie and I think I'm gonna need to buy this movie for my collection. I have decided to become a Ravens fan because of this story and I totally admire Sandra Bullock's character!

Lots of Good Movies This Weekend!

3 comments:

Kami said...

I know there were a few changes in the movie, but they were really minor. The movie captured the story, the characters, and all the emotions, and I was pleased with that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Blind Side. We watched in the theater with Grant. We bought it as soon as it came out. I love Sandra Bullock, and I'm so glad she got an award for this movie.

Melanie said...

I watched the Hunger Games before I read the book and really they complimented each other very well. I was confused at some parts after the movie, but the book clarified them and some parts in the movie enhanced the book. I just finished the second book a few days ago and am reading the 3rd now.

Both other movies are good too. I was really skeptical of the Karate Kid but I was surprised how much I liked it. And really, there is something wrong with you if you are not moved by The Blind Side.

Kami said...

I'm replying to your comment on my blog about having a big list of books to read. You should start a Goodreads account. You can keep track of what books you've read, when you read them, and a to-read list. It is awesome!!