Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What A Nightmare

I registered for my Summer 2010 and Fall 2010 classes back in April. When I looked at my class printout I noticed that my College Algebra class which is a Tues./Thurs. class started on Monday August 30. I thought that was pretty weird but that's what the paperwork said. So yesterday I woke up and headed to class. I found my room and it was completely full and the teacher was already going through the syllabus. I freaked out because I was 15 minutes early and the class shouldn't have started yet. Before going into the classroom I saw a notice by the door about a cancelled algebra class. I freaked again and read the notice. Luckily it wasn't my class but that didn't explain why I was somehow late for the class in the room. I saw an office across the hall and decided to ask the lady there if she knew anything about the class starting early. The lady told me that my class probably started after the one that was in there. I waited in the hall until some guy came to me and asked if I was waiting for the next math class. I told him I was, but we discovered that we had different teachers and different math classes. What was going on? Then it occurred to me that I probably misread what my paperwork said. It probably meant that term started on Monday August 30 but my class was on Tuesday. I decided to go home and figure it out later.

Take Two: I woke up this morning and headed to class. Sure enough I misread my paperwork and my class really did start today. While the teacher was going over the syllabus I discovered that I bought the wrong algebra book. Actually, I bought the book in June and apparently they came out with a new addition to use this semester. Suck!! After class I went to the bookstore to buy the right book and ended up waiting in line for over an hour. The book is brand new so I decided to rent the thing since $200 for a new book is out of my budget. Ended up only paying $85 to rent it. I asked the cashier if I would be able to sell my old algebra book. She sent me to another line that I waited in for another hour. They did buy the book back BUT I only got $25 for a book I originally spent over $100 for. Lame!! At least I got some money for it.

Class itself was a nightmare. Most of the students in the class are right out of high school and math/algebra is fresh on the brain. My brain hasn't done mathematical equations in over 7 years. The teacher was putting equations on the board that looked foreign to me. I didn't even know where to begin to solve the problems. This class is going to be murder. I don't have class tomorrow and luckily I don't work till the evening so I plan on going to the school and getting some tutoring before class on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be able to freshen up a little before I start getting actual assignments. I'm really nervous and I'm just hoping for the best. I can't afford to fail this course.

1 comment:

Kami said...

I'm sorry. That sounds like a rough way to start out the semester. Here is awesome tip for college books. You can buy them super cheap on Amazon. Then you can sell them back to the bookstore or back on Amazon for more than what you paid for them! Woo!