Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fall Semester 2010

Tomorrow I start my first class for Fall 2010! I'm excited to be going back to school and I hope that I'll be able to juggle my classes and continue working 2 part time jobs. I was able to continue working both jobs while I took my very demanding summer drawing class...so I think I can do it in the fall as well.
Tomorrow I start my Tues./Thurs. class: College Algebra (funny that it starts on a Monday)
Math was always one of my best subjects in Middle and High School, especially Algebra. I'm really nervous for this class cause I haven't taken a formal math class in over 7 years. I'm afraid that my math skills are a little rusty since the only math I've done since 2003 is balance a checkbook! I'm sure I'll be fine and that everything will come back to me. A girl from my drawing class had the same teacher that I have, and she told me the teacher is really good! Yeah!

On September 13 I start my Mon./Wed. class: Fundamentals of Interior Design
I'm especially excited for this class since it'll be the first class I take that focuses on my actual degree! I've heard from numerous people that the class is challenging but I'm sure everything will be just fine. I've mostly heard that the class is time consuming (which could be tough with two jobs) and that the projects are a little hard. I guess I'll find out in a few more weeks.

Work is going to be a little crazy this week which I'm NOT excited about. When I'm not in school it's easy for me to work both jobs in one day! I can open at one and close at the other...easy as pie. When I'm in school I can't do that. Mon.-Thurs. I can ONLY work one job a day. In order for both jobs to give me hours...I have to stretch myself thin. I've been working about 30 hours a week (5 days) at Palais Royal and anywhere from 4-22 hours a week at Gymboree. The past 6 weeks I've worked 40-46 hours a week between both jobs. When I took my drawing class back in June, I had to drop my hours drastically to 20-30 between both jobs. My last week of class I ended up working a total of 18 hours (both jobs). Both jobs are severely understaffed which is extremely unfortunate for me. Luckily both jobs have hired at least one new person and they continue to interview. I'm just afraid that I'll have to have words with my bosses so they don't schedule me like they have this week, again. Like tomorrow for instance:

  • Class: 11:00-12:20
  • Gymboree: 1:00-3:00
  • Palais Royal: 3:30-9:30

Are they crazy? When am I going to work on my homework assignments, huh? I'll have to figure it out and hopefully they'll become flexible again! At least it's only the first week and I probably won't get MUCH homework after the first class. Luckily my other class isn't for a few more weeks either. I think I'm just tired because I haven't had a day off since the 17 and I've worked 81 hours since then.

I can do this!!! Yea!!

1 comment:

Kami said...

Good luck! I hope your schedule will work out. Sounds super busy. I don't envy you. I hope you have fun with your classes! Hang in there!