Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Drive Through Memory Lane

I've been trying to be productive since I've been here in Texas. I had my own personal goals which consisted of: 1. Getting a job and 2. Getting enrolled in school. Now that I've worked almost 2 weeks at my jobs, I decided it was time to make a trip to the college and get things started with my registration and enrollment. My dad suggested that I get my licence changed to a Texas one before I go to the college. I woke up this morning extremely exhausted from work but I forced myself to get up and going. My blonde moment of the day was when I arrived at the DMV and realized that it isn't free to get a licence and vehicle registration. Dah!! I'm still broke and I haven't been paid yet, so I'm just glad I remembered this before I waited in line for who knows how long and humiliated myself. I decided to make the best of my trip and so I went for a drive around town. I drove past my High School and was shocked to see it completely remodeled. It doesn't even look the same. The 9th grade campus is now a middle school and there is tons of growth (churches and buildings) in places that was all trees when I went to school there. Crazy! I then decided to drive past the ballet studio where I lived for most of my childhood. The sign was different and I noticed the doors and windows were all taped and boarded up. Sadness... :-( I knew they were planning on relocating but it was sad to see it like that. I also drove past the college to get a feel of things and see where I would need to go for enrollment. The college has changed a little but mostly looks the way I remember it. As I drove back home, I decided to drive through my neighborhood and look at some of the homes I always liked when I was growing up. There has even been some new growth in that old neighborhood since I've been away. So much has changed in the past 7 years and I can't believe it.

2 comments:

Kami said...

Sounds fun to see all your old stomping grounds. I hope you can get into school without problems. Colleges can be stingy sometimes. Good luck! Do you know what you are going to major in? Do you think you'll take a few dance classes?

Melanie said...

funny how life doesn't stand still when you leave. When I came back I expected everything to be the same as when I left. I had the same kinds of feelings you do. It's weirder leaving as a "kid" and coming back an adult, even the people you intereacted with as a kid aren't the same anymore because now they interact with you as an adult. It's just different.