Sunday, January 30, 2011

How's General Psychology?

For the past two weeks I've been going to my General Psychology class and so far I absolutely LOVE it!!!

My professor is a sole lecturer and she doesn't ever assign homework! She thinks of us as adults and just expects us to do whatever we need to do as adults to do well in her class.

Are you thinking that I love this class because I never get homework?

WRONG!!!

I give myself plenty of homework on my own because I read the modules and do all the study guide questions afterward.

I'm just really enjoying my teacher's lectures and I truly feel as though I'm learning!

Remember Phineas Gage?

He's the guy that had a iron rod explode up through his left cheek and come out the top of his head!!! Gross!!! Anyway, I learned that the accident severed ties between his frontal lobe and limbic system. With his frontal lobe being damaged, Gage was no longer able to control his moods and emotions.

Last Wednesday I came home from work to discover that my mom was watching a documentary thingy on King Henry VIII. I sat down and watched while I ate some dinner. The documentary mentioned that King Henry was in a jousting accident in 1538 where he was thrown from his horse and the horse fell on top of him. He was without speech for 2 hours and when he came back around his mood and personality was different.

So....I'm listening and blurted out, "The accident probably damaged his frontal lobe!!"

Then.....the doctor on the documentary says, "Most likely the accident damaged his frontal lobe."

(or something along those lines) My mom looked at me with this shocked face and wondered how I knew that. I told her I was SMART!!! Hehe...I would have never known that if I hadn't learned about Phineas Gage in my Psychology class.

Our first test is this Friday and I'm a little nervous because I don't know what to expect but I'm hoping that I'll do well!!! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

that's called practical application! good for you! Means your retention was well enough for you to use or recognize the application of the material you learned.