Thursday, October 7, 2010

Principles and Elements of Design

I thought I would share some photos of my Principles and Elements Notebook. The quality of the pictures isn't that great because I used my camera phone but at least you can kind of get an idea.

There are several principles and elements of design. As you can see my notebook is pretty thick! I was just barely able to fit them all in the 1 1/2 inch binder I bought. Because there are so many I thought I would pick a few of my favorites.
Scale: The first Principle of Design. Scale deals with the size of the room. Is the room large or small? Is the furniture in the room too big for the size of the room? Is the furniture in the room too small for the size of the room? If you can see my picture, the room is very large and the furniture chosen for the space is also large. All the wall art is large in scale which matches the architectural scale of the room.
Repetition: Stems from Rhythm which is a Principle of Design. Repetition is a repeating rhythm of similar characteristics. The picture I chose showcases repetition in the legs of the furniture. All the legs have the same curve and claw base.

Massing: Stems from Emphasis which is a Principle of Design. Massing is a grouping of similar objects. I hope you can see the massing of MANY taxidermy deer heads on the wall. Hello? A bit much in my opinion. (picture actually extended into another page...that's a lot of death in one room ;-p)

Small Curved: Lines are an Element of Design. In this picture the archway above the bed has a small curve.


Stylized Pattern: An Element of Design. The blue color in the upholstered dinning room chairs matches the blue in the area rug below. The wood cabinetry matches the wood color in the ceiling. The curve of the chair legs is seen in the ceiling with the curve of the beams. The overall pattern in the this room flows with one another making this room stylized.


Most designs are going to be made of more than one principle and element of design. You probably can't see this picture very well but there are several principles and elements found in this room. The beams in the ceiling show off some horizontal lines making the room look wider and taller. The exposed rock and brick walls have a naturalistic pattern and the wall art in the center has an isolated emphasis for that wall. If the quality of this picture were better I could show you some more principles and elements.

I hope you enjoyed my project. I don't know what my grade for it is yet....but it better be a juicy "A" for all I went through getting it done.

2 comments:

Kami said...

It looks awesome!! Good job!

Melanie said...

It turned out fantastic! I love it!