Monday, June 28, 2010

It's "BEAUTIFUL"

I started the 4th week of my drawing class today and I turned in my final bathroom composition for classroom critique.
Our first week in the class we had to do 3 ink-mark making compositions. I wasn't exactly sure of the expectations of the assignment and things didn't go so well for me (worst grade in the class so far). My paintings were pinned next to another painting where the artist/student went above and beyond. He actually took the time to get his work framed.
Our teacher grades us on our participation during the critiquing process and so I figured it would be wise to say at least one thing about each painting. I used the word "beautiful" to describe the work that was framed.
Last week, Doug (the artist who frames his work), talked to me during class. He told me that he told his family about me. He told them, "There is this girl in my class that says my work is beautiful. I always aim to get a beautiful critique from her." I told him that I will always give him a beautiful critique. So that same day when we critiqued our work, I gave him another beautiful rating. Some of our classmates overheard us talking about it before class and yelled that he was paying me to say that (meant to be a joke of course) ;-p
Now everyone in the class aims to get a "Beautiful" critique from me.
Today we turned in our bathroom compositions and critiqued them. I added a few more artists to my beautiful category, which made them very proud. Well guess what? My composition received a mutual "Beautiful" critique from the teacher and the class. Everyone was so shocked with my work. I thought my lost and found edges was good but this one received the best critique. I'm so proud that I actually got added to the "beautiful" rating today. I couldn't be happier.

Every one thought I captured the texture of the rug and towel PERFECTLY!!!

My professor was exceptionally pleased with how much hard work and detail was put into my work.

*Slightly different lighting for the same piece*

1 comment:

Kami said...

Wow! I love how you made the rug look! I can't even guess how you did that. I love how you made the bathtub look all shiny. Good job! I love that you created a new standard in your class. I'm glad your art class isn't as horrible as you thought it was going to be. I'm really happy you are enjoying it and doing so well! Hope you get some more beautifuls!