Friday, June 18, 2010

Lost And Found Edges

I'm taking this drawing class over the summer that is unfortunately required for my Interior Design degree. I've never been good at drawing, nor have I ever enjoyed drawing other than some simple doodles. Luckily this class is only 6 weeks and I have 2 weeks done....only 4 more to go. I've really struggled in this class and I'm by far the worst. Most of the students in the class have been drawing for years and taken art classes in Middle School and High School. There is definitely some real talent in the class. It's hard for me not to compare my work with these real artists but I just keep trying to do my best. Luckily the teacher grades us on our individual progress. So far my favorite medium we've used in the class is charcoal. My last assignment was to do a lost and found edges drawing using charcoal and eraser. I shocked myself when I was done with this assignment. I was actually worried that the class and the teacher would think that someone else did the drawing for me. Every time we turn in a homework assignment we critique the work as a class. After the critique of the drawing we reveal who the artist was.

My critique was awesome! Everyone thought my shading was amazing and that the cup looked like they could actually pick it up and use it. I couldn't have been more proud with the results of this assignment. When I revealed myself as the artist the teacher was amazed. She told me that this drawing was truly my best work in this class so far. I just wish some of my other work would turn out this well.

1 comment:

Kami said...

I really like it! I'm so impressed. You did a fab job. You should post more of your art! Good luck with the last 4 weeks!