Friday, June 25, 2010

Bathroom Composition

I'm working on my 5th out of 7 Compositions for my drawing class. Our assignment is to compose a 19"x25" charcoal and graphite drawing of a bathroom from the point of view from the floor. My professor wants us to include at least 4 preliminary (5 minute) sketches of the bathroom so she can see where we got our final inspiration. I've been working on this assignment for the past two days and I'm still not done. Luckily it isn't due until Monday morning and I have some time to continue working on it. This is Preliminary Bathroom Sketch #3

(I've left out the first two sketches since I was just trying to figure out how much I wanted to zoom into the scene)
I was focusing on how I was going to bring in the texture of the bathroom rug.

Preliminary Bathroom Sketch #4

Our final composition will be on light grayish brown paper (not white) and so I wanted to get an idea of what it will be like adding shading and detail to my final compo with the darker background. I took the charcoal stick and rubbed it all over the paper and blended it smooth to get the gray you see. (Keep in mind that these are supposed to be 5 minute sketches)


Preliminary Bathroom Sketch #5

As I was adding the highlight and low light on my 4th sketch I noticed that the tub was shaped wrong. This 5th sketch is me correcting the shape of the tub and rug. I think it looks a little more realistic now.

After the sketches were done I decided to dig into the final composition. That paper is huge and it doesn't fit on my Masonite board very well. It's been quite a conflict since I'm drawing in a bathroom (which isn't very big) and the board alone is about as big as the area I'm drawing in. I'm making due with what I have and the assignment is coming along. I worked on the outline of my final composition all day Wednesday night.

It's really hard to see because I drew the outline very lightly and the paper is gray which doesn't help. I worked on adding the charcoal and graphite to the composition all day yesterday. I'll be sure to post a picture of the finished drawing as soon as it's done. I'm really proud with how well it's looking!!

*Funny Story*

I was scared to add the required charcoal and graphite elements to my page after I finished the outline so I decided to ask my teacher for another piece of gray paper to practice on. So in class yesterday I asked her if I could have another piece and her response, "Oh I see! Well this paper is very expensive...it's about $5 a piece. If you make a mistake you just have to deal with it. That's what being an artist is all about." My response to that, "So I can't have another sheet?" Her, "No!" It was funny you just had to be there. She's this tiny old Japanese lady with a cute accent.

1 comment:

Kami said...

I really liked 4 and 5. The grey background was cool. Asian accents are really funny.