Monday, November 3, 2008

My First Born

Stinky
Stinky was my pet ferret before Grant and I got married! She actually belonged to my sister first under the name Bandit! I moved to Utah in May of 2003 and lived with my sister and her husband for about 6 months. Stinky and I shared a room and became very close in those few months. Stinky would sleep in her cage the whole night and wake in the morning when I woke. It was really sweet. Sometimes I would get up in the morning and bring her to bed with me. She would sleep on my chest for several minutes until she realized she was free!
When my sister got pregnant she decided to get rid of Bandit but I couldn't bare to be apart with her. So I bought her from my sister, changed her name to Stinky, and eventually moved out on my own. The apartments that I was living in didn't allow pets and I eventually got caught having her. So in order to not get evicted I had to get rid of Stinky. Grant, my loving boyfriend at the time, offered to keep her at his place.
So when Grant and I got married.....Stinky became our "First Born!!"
Stinky always wanted to eat whatever we were eating....or drinking. She loved milk!
And like her mother.....SHE LOVED CHOCOLATE!!!!!
Grant made pancakes and we had a smidgen of batter left so we made a pancake for Stinky. She wouldn't come near the thing until I put the Hershey Kiss on top!
Stinky loved to play. When she was happy she mad this little "eeh, eeh, eeh" sound while she galloped around. When she was mad she would kind of hiss.
Stinky loved to get into things......I had made Grant a humongous card that used different candy bars and stuff to substitute a word such as, "You are a lifesaver" only you put some lifesavers candy in place of the word lifesaver. So I put some Hershey Kisses on the card and Stinky would take them. We hid the card in our closet but somehow she would get in the closet, take the kiss and we would find the wrapper under our bed. It was super cute. She loved her chocolate!
I loved my little Stinker Poo!Stinky loved her hammock. She had a 2 story cage and I decided to take out one of the platforms on the second floor and put this little hammock in instead. Was that a success or what? She loved it. It was warm and fuzzy and it had a pouch that she could crawl under for extra warmth. You can kinda see the pouch in the above picture. Her lower torso is under it. Cute huh?I had found this small stuffed animal in the closet that I naturally assumed was given to Grant from an ex-girlfriend, and I didn't want it around if that was the case, so I threw it in the cage for Stinky to poop on and stuff. Stinky became very fond of the animal. In fact, she figured out a way to get the little stuffed puppy from the main floor of her cage to her hammock. There were some tubes in the cage that gave her access between floors. She would crawl through the tunnels backwards with the puppy in her mouth until she got it in her hammock. I was so proud of her. Who would have thought she was smart enough to do that? The little puppy slept with her in the hammock under the pouch!I guess you could say that Stinky liked to play fetch. I would throw this ball and she would run after it but she wouldn't bring it back. Instead she would hide the ball under a cabinet or behind the entertainment system.She liked her blankets too!What was not to love about this little bundle of fluff?
Unfortunately, Grant didn't like her so much and she finally became a burden to me. Ferrets require a lot of work. They poop and pee tons and they naturally have a smelly odor about them. Her cage needed to be cleaned at least once and week including washing her blankets, hammock and stuffed dog and bathing her. It became too much for me to handle and so we finally gave her up.On July 27, 2006 I cried my eyes out (which is why I look great in this picture) and gave her to her new family. They were a wonderful family that my father-in-law recommended so I felt good about giving her up. My father-in-law kept me posted on her happiness with her new family for as long as he could. I don't know how Stinky is doing anymore but I sure hope that if she is still alive that she is happy and loving life.
I want Stinky to be remembered as a part of my family so I made a Mii of her on our Nintendo Wii. This is what Stinky would look like if she were human!

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Yes, Stinky was dang cute. Some people think ferrets are gross but i really thought she was adorable. It's sad when you have to give up a pet.

Melanie said...

I remember Stinky, she was cute. It takes a special person to love a ferret like you did!

Kami said...

Awwwww....I only got to see stinky a couple of times. Too bad you had to give her up. She was pretty darn cute. I love all the pictures you have of her. Pets are so much fun!

Justin Furr said...

I saw this plush ferret toy over at IKEA the other day and it made me think of you and Stinky.

We need to hang out more with you guys, feels like it's been forever.