Thursday, December 30, 2010

Resolutions Checklist

2010 is coming to an end and I wanted to be able to check some accomplishments off my New Year's Resolutions List for this year. I posted my resolutions on January 1, 2010. You may remember them when you see them.
Be enrolled in college by fall semester
Have a part time job
Be in better shape physically
Have a stronger relationship with Carlos
Make new friends
Be happy with myself
Grow my hair out


What can I check off?

I've completed two semesters of college this year, both of which I maintained a 4.0 GPA which means I got all "A's!" I'm also enrolled for Spring Semester 2011 which starts in less than 3 weeks.

I'm working not only one but TWO part time jobs!!! I've been able to make enough money to pay all my bills and pay for my college education all on my own with no financial support from family or the government. It's been tough and I can't afford any extras but I'm proud of what I've been able to do.

At the beginning of the year I was determined to get into better physical shape. I forced myself to work out 3-5 days a week. What started out as an excruciating 15 minute walk on the treadmill turned into a 30-60 minute jog including push-ups, 100+ crunches, limb stretching and weight lifting. My butt firmed and I started getting the 6 pack I had senior year in high school. My biceps were huge and mom never stopped stating how muscular my arms looked. I was feeling so good and gaining muscle weight. By May of this year I looked incredible and I was extremely proud of myself. Unfortunately, I started school in June and I was unable to keep working out juggling two jobs, school and homework. I think the last time I walked on the treadmill or did a crunch was early June. Oh well....I succeeded for a short amount of time and I'm proud of that slight accomplishment. Maybe I'll start again before too long.
I wrote this list before Carlos and I broke up. If you remember Carlos and I broke up January 15th. I had hoped that we'd be able to work on our relationship and grow stronger as a couple. Unfortunately we didn't have that opportunity. However, we've stayed in touch with each other and remained friends this entire year. By early March I was beginning to feel that our relationship was growing stronger through a friendship. He's come to me a couple times this year needing advice and I tried to help him as best I could. I'm sad to announce that the last I heard from Carlos was November 8th; almost two months ago. I've sent him a few emails since then but he's never responded to any of them. There is still hope that he'll write me again some day. At least our friendship grew stronger for a brief moment in my personal history.
I haven't made many new friends. I've become friends with some co-workers of mine on facebook and a few of my classmates from school. I haven't made friends with anyone that I care to hang out with. I'm still searching for a BFF and I hope that one day I'll have one. Right now my closest friend is my Mother and I'm grateful for that. My mom was always my best friend when I was growing up and our relationship changed when I moved to Utah and got married. My mom has been my best comfort this past month while I was going through TWO break ups with Alex. I'll always love my mother and I never want to grow apart again.
Be happy with myself!!! That's a tough one to check off the list. I'm not so sure if I'm happy with myself or not. I'm proud of all my accomplishments: school, work...etc. But I still think I have a long way to go to actually be happy with myself. I've continued to grow as an individual this year but I've also made many mistakes along the way. I think I'll have to continue striving to be happy with myself.
I've tried to grow my hair out all year but it just won't grow anymore. I ruined my hair when I bleached it back in 2008 and it's thinned to a point where it looks like straw when it gets past my shoulders. I'll never have my thicker and longer hair again. At least I've tried, right?
I guess one could conclude that I've been able to check off most of my resolutions for 2010. I hope many of you have been able to do the same!!!

2 comments:

Kami said...

I think you did pretty good on your list. Better than mine anyway.

Melanie said...

Sounds like you did great! Most people don't even see their list through February! And then there are people like me, who don't even make a list!