Friday, July 9, 2010

Self-Expressed Through Objects

My most recent homework assignment for my drawing class was a
"Self-Expressed Through Objects"
drawing using Conte Crayons.
Conte Crayons are nothing like Crayola/Wax crayons, in fact they are more like chalk. They were different than anything I have ever colored with before in my life and they usually only come in packs of black, white, gray and some neutrals. I was wishing that I could use Crayola instead.
As always I was scared to death that this assignment wouldn't come out looking right. I spent all of my 4th of July weekend working on this drawing. I believe I started working on it last Sunday (July 4th) at 11:00 am and I didn't stop working until 9:30 pm (only taking a 30 minute lunch and a 30 minute dinner break that whole day).
I was able to finish drawing and coloring all of my objects but the background was void of any excitement. Too tired to deal with the dang thing any longer I went to bed. Monday morning I woke up and decided to do something with the background. Being extremely lazy I only shaded the back of the page with the side of one of the crayons. I was very happy with the final composition of the page...after all I wanted the objects to be the focus of the page and not the wood grain of the table they were standing on.

The class loved it and it received a "Beautiful" critique! I was so proud to raise my hand and reveal myself as the artist. Everyone said that my drawing put a smile on their faces. Even the teacher seemed to really like it. I was really hoping....and kinda expecting to get another "A" on this drawing. The teacher graded them and gave them back to us on Thursday. I was so excited to turn it over and see that beautiful "A".

Nope

I got an 88!! WTF? She said that my objects were flat and lifeless but the piece managed to make people smile. She suggested that I put more in the background like a picture frame or something in the distance. I was so pissed because I thought this was one of my better drawings. She gave a 100 to a guy that didn't put anything in the background...WTF??? I was robbed of a much deserved "A"!!!! Oh well.....at least I'm happy with my drawing and that's all that matters.

1 comment:

Kami said...

I thought it was really good. I think the objects really reflect you. I love the nutcracker.