Sunday, February 17, 2013

Three-Alarm Spaghetti and Pinto Bean Chili

Meal #2: Three-Alarm Spaghetti and Pinto Bean Chili

1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
3 cups water
1/2 cup taco sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cans (10 oz. each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
4 oz. uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds (1 1/2 cups)
1 can (15 to 16 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Sour cream, if desired
Jalapeno chilies, if desired

  1. Heat oil in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bell pepper in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until crisp-tender.
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients except spaghetti and beans.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low.  Simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Stir in spaghetti and beans.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium.  Cook uncovered 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until spaghetti is tender.  Garnish each serving with sour cream and Jalapeno chilies.
This chili recipe is based on the well-known Cincinnati chili, which is traditionally chili served over spaghetti.  To save time and energy, the spaghetti is cooked right along with this spicy chili.
My Review
I loved this chili recipe, however, it was a little too spicy for me.  They weren't lying when they called it "Three-Alarm!"  I went ahead and only put 1 tsp of chili powder and it was still too spicy for my liking.  Next time I'm going to reduce the chili powder even more.  There are several other ingredients that add to the spice.  Furthermore, to help with the spice, I added the sour cream and some shredded cheese to the top and stirred it all in to my serving.  I've never had spaghetti noodles in a chili before, but I actually really liked it.  This was a super easy recipe to make and I will definitely make it again.  I thought it would also taste great with tortilla chips on the side.
           
I gave it 4 1/2 Stars
   

2 comments:

Kami said...

Cinnamon in chili? That sounds weird. This looks good though! I'll have to try it.

Melanie said...

I made Cincinnati chili for my husband for his birthday. He was born in Ohio and he rarely gets that treat. I'd say this one is loosely based on an authentic Cinci chili, but it still sounds yummy!